- Gather birth certificates, passports, etc. for everyone in your home and carry important documents with you on moving day.
- Measure doorways, stairways, and elevators to make sure all your furniture will fit. Measure twice – move once!
- Go grocery shopping on moving day so you don't have to keep ordering takeout.
- Transfer your monthly services.
- Confirm parking options for your moving truck - you may need a permit on moving day.
- Make sure your new home has a visible address.
- Find the nearest library, café, grocery store, takeout restaurant, or any area you'll visit frequently.
- Explore your new neighborhood.
- Get to know your new neighbors!
- Register to vote.
- Contact all relevant authorities to notify of your new address.
- Return all library books, DVD's etc.
- Arrange transfer of bank accounts, internet, telephone, gas, electricity connections.
- Fill prescriptions needed the week before and after the move.
- Service your car, drain the lawnmower.
- Arrange final readings of gas and electricity meters, remove batteries.
- Discontinue any delivery services, newspapers, automated payment plans and local memberships. Collect dry cleaning.
- Leave a note or small gift for new residents.
- Create a packet for new residents with owner's manuals and warranties for appliances.